Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner needed for Outpatient Practice
Nurse Prac - Psych-Mental Health
Third Party Search Firms Not Allowed
Mountain View Hospital, Payson, UT
The 136-bed Mountain View Hospital has supported the residents of Southern Utah County for over 20 years. Mountain View is located in Payson, Utah. This beautiful growing community on the Wasatch front, just 60 miles from Salt Lake City, offers incomparable outdoor recreation and cultural amenities in a four seasons environment. The hospital serves a primary population of 80,000. The schools are among the best in the nation making Payson a place where family values really mean something.
Job SummaryThe psychiatric nurse will be assigned a caseload of patients and provide direct care to their patients, which includes facilitating social and emotional needs, supervising medication schedules and evaluating patient progress. The nurse will also collaborate with a variety of interdisciplinary professionals to determine and provide the best possible care for their patients.
The psychiatric nurse will administer medications, usually under doctor’s orders. She/He must be able to quickly deal with and assess the needs of the patients and to develop solutions; treatments that may need to fluctuate rapidly if the patients’ mental state changes. The psychiatric nurse will be involved with developing psychiatric care programs; educating other nursing students, doctors, and patients and their families; and balance these functions with direct patient care. She/He will participate in consultations groups at the facility sharing cases and supporting other professionals in the group.
He/She still must be well-versed in patient care for a variety of different mental disabilities and dysfunctions, and they must be able to provide fast and efficient nursing care for sometimes dangerous patients. He/She may be required to deal with crisis intervention and treatment. He/she will provide evidence-based individual therapy, such as cognitive behavior therapy for depression and anxiety.
The psychiatric nurse will do much the same work of the supervising physician, including;
1. Assessing patients by carefully interviewing the patients, their families, and others who know them. Psychiatric interviews are informal conversations that invite patients to describe what is troubling them, their symptoms, their family history, allergies, medications, etc., so that a diagnosis can be made. A major responsibility of this physician assistant specialty is to make sure that the patient’s psychological problems are not due to an underlying (hidden) medical condition, such as a brain tumor, hypothyroidism, or toxicity from other medications.
2. Maintaining patients’ physical health while they receive psychiatric care.
3. Assigning a psychiatric diagnosis from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM V) and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD 10).
4. Ordering labs or consultations with other providers.
5. Prescribing psychiatric medications. Psychiatric PAs prescribe many psychiatric medications, and are therefore experts in psychopharmacology, the study of the indications, actions, and side effects of drugs that have psychological effects.
6. Following up with patients to see how they respond, and adjusting their medications
7. Helping to determine what kind of non-medication help they need (psychotherapy, hospitalization, conservatorship, etc.)
The psychiatric nurse with primarily work within the outpatient mental health Clinic at Mountain View Hospital, but occasionally will be asked help at the Behavioral Health Inpatient unit as well. The nurse will also be asked to assist with marketing of the Behavioral and Mental Health facilities.
• Possession of a Registered Advance Nurse Practitioner License. ANA certification.
• One year clinical experience with an emphasis in mental health preferred but not necessary as we will train interested candidates.
• Graduation of an accredited school of nursing.
• Successful completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
• Current BLS certification (available after hire).
• Current ACLS and PALS certification preferred. Must obtain ACLS and PALS certification within 1 year from date of hire and then maintain certification.
This is an employed practice opportunity,competitive salary and benefits offered to qualified candidates.