Excellent Hepatobiliary Surgery PA or NP Opportunity in San Antonio, Texas
Third Party Search Firms Not Allowed
Methodist Specialty & Transplant Hosp, San Antonio, TX
Located in the South Texas Medical Center in San Antonio, Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital (MSTH) is licensed for 382 beds. The hospital is widely acclaimed throughout the Southwest for its specialized medical services including heart, kidney, pancreas and liver transplants, as well as latest procedures to treat impotency, incontinence and gastro enteric illnesses. Other specialty areas include emergency care, inpatient rehabilitation, behavioral medicine, bariatric surgery/ care and the latest treatments for cancer. The facility also houses a program in which a specially trained team works with law enforcement officers to provide care for survivors of sexual assault.
MSTH is home to the Texas Transplant Institute, the busiest kidney program in Texas and among the top ten in the nation. The program has performed the most live kidney donor transplants in Texas, using minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques for most procedures. The heart transplant program is the first Medicare-certified program of its kind in South and Central Texas and is the Medicare-approved site in the region for patients needing long-term assist device therapy. The liver transplant program includes a liver failure clinic that offers a variety of services, including Interferon treatments, chemoembolization and radio frequently ablation procedures.
The Methodist Cancer Center is part of the facility, treating all types of cancers with the latest radiation therapies, including the advanced Gamma Knife and CyberKnife. The Center treats cancers of the prostate, sarcomas, as well as some non-cancerous conditions and lesions.
The hospital has been named by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence in recognition of their program’s demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes in bariatric surgery.
The hospital owns several medical office buildings in the area with one connected to MSTH.
Hospital Fast Facts:
Job SummaryAdvanced Clinical Provider Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Surgery
Methodist Healthcare of San Antonio is seeking an advanced clinical provider to join the liver transplant & HPB surgical team at Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital. This ACP will become an integral part of the team supporting the surgeon’s inpatient and outpatient practices. The patient population would include complex surgical diseases and disorders of the liver, pancreas, biliary tract, and duodenum. The ACP will perform a wide range of surgical procedures under physician supervision such as insertion of central venous lines, insertion and removal of chest tubes, placement of arterial lines, dialysis catheters, liver resections, distal pancreatectomies, complex cholecystectomies, and biliary reconstructions. Provide the patient education on disease process, post-operative, and discharge instructions. The daily duties include:- Inpatient rounding- Outpatient General Surgery Clinic seeing low complexity undifferentiated new HPB patients, post op visits, and long term follow ups, participating in active research studies with the team.
The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and work well in a team environment. The schedule for this job will be Monday to Friday from 7-5pm, with no holidays, nights, or weekends. New graduates are welcome to apply. ACP, with the supervision of a Physician, performs complete histories and physicals on patients of all ages to establish and record patient's current health status and to develop a working diagnosis and treatment plan to provide continuing medical care, including daily examinations, writing orders, chart notes, discharging patients and completing discharge summaries, in a variety of clinical settings. Provides outpatient and/or hospital based care to patients (more than 50% of their time) with complex, acute, and chronic health conditions. In the hospital care role, practices in a setting that requires the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic interventions to manage acute and chronic health problems, working with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Performs comprehensive histories and physical exams, identifies normal and abnormal findings, including physical, cognitive and psychosocial status.
• Orders, performs, and interprets screening and diagnostic procedures and tests, and appropriately communicates and documents information.
• Develops treatment plans including surgical, non-surgical, and pharmaceutical.
• Monitors effectiveness of plan of care.
• Educates patients and families on disease and on preoperative and postoperative care in addition to health problems, health maintenance activities, and preventive behaviors as necessary.
• Performs procedures as trained and appropriately credentialed.
• Documents within the Electronic Medical Record and completes other necessary documents accurately and in a timely manner.
• Collaborates and/or consults with physicians and other health care providers.
• Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care teams in diagnosis and treatment of surgical oncology patients with both malignant and benign diseases in the outpatient setting.
• Participates in preoperative and postoperative patient care. Provides follow-up/post-op care in the Outpatient Surgical Oncology Clinic.
• Develops expertise specific to this patient population.
• Privileged to perform procedures as identified by the collaborating surgeon that are beyond core privileges.
• Facilitates communication with other care organizations to promote continuity across the continuum of care.
• Be an integral part in the operating room as first assist on a multitude of case mixes.
* Graduate of an A.R.C.-approved Physician Assistant Program. Master's degree in Physician Assistant Studies and/or applicable state license through the State Medical Board for certificate to practice.
* Current certification as a Physician Assistant through the NCCPA.
* Must have Prescriptive authority or eligible to apply for licensure to prescribe from the State Medical Board within the first 6 months of hiring.
* Must have approved Physician Supervision Agreement (listed on State Medical Board website) and/or signed addendum to Physician Supervision Agreement.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider required; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) may be required based upon work setting.